Friday 2 November 2012

Victor Gabriel Gilbert, An Elegant Soiree

To start my research into Masquerade Ball related  artists, I decided to look at the traditional paintings first before focusing on more modern approaches. This is so I can see how the art styles and views on Ball's have changed over time.  I have a better understanding of where Ball's originated from. An artist that particularly caught my eye is Victor Gabriel Gilbert. 



                                                          Oil painted on canvas
Victor Gilbert was born in Paris, in 1847. He was a genre painter and was particularly interested in the portrayal of market scenes and the picturesque details therein. Gilbert was awarded the Bonnat prize in 1926 and died in 1933. 
I particularly like Victor Gilbert's painting of a Victorian Ball because it is traditional and represent's the time period very well as the style of the Victorian's is shown. The painting is very elegant as it is situated in a posh, decorated hall with people who seem sophisticated in their clothing and posture. I love the pale colours Gilbert has used because it gives the painting a calm mood and each colour compliments one another. The different colour outfits of the people also makes it clear to see how many individuals there are and makes the piece exciting as the colours collide together.
I chose Victor Gilbert's painting 'An Elegant Soiree' to focus on because I feel it is a sophisticated, elegant painting that gives off a relaxing and uplifting atmosphere. It also attracted me seeing as it takes you back to how Ball's used to be when they originally started. The image focuses on the whole scene with the view of the hall and lots of people included so you can get a sense of the atmosphere and visualise the experience. 

1 comment:

  1. I have found one of these paintings in my loft it is in a dark wood frame with a name plate ' Victor Gabriel Gilbert 1847-1933' nailed to the bottom of the frame. It feels like oil paint texture. Is it worth anything ?

    ReplyDelete