Friday 2 November 2012

My Opinion of Steve O'connell's artwork

I really like Steve O'Connell's paintings because he creates a different scene and landscape each time. His paintings are situated in Naples, Sorrento and Rivoli. I think that it makes his work more interesting as it isn't in a traditional ballroom which is full of couples, yet it is just two of them on a beach. I feel that the beach gives off a calm atmosphere and makes the setting more romantic.  I love the way he works in oil colour, it appears that he blends the colours together which creates a smudge texture. The colours he uses are soft in tone which gives a peaceful mood. I like the way the background is very simple but it represents where it is well, it is pale with limited detail which gives it a greater distance. This makes the dancers stand out, becoming the centre of attention. The thing I love the most about his paintings are the figures reflections on the surface as you can get a sense of their composition and the lighting. It is well thought out in all aspects and I feel the shadows makes the dancer's seem more elegant.  I love the sky especially in. 'Rivoli' as he has blended lots of  different shades of colour together. He also includes colours on the woman's dress in the sky which makes the painting flow together. I have noticed that in his paintings the main focus is on the female as the man's face cannot be seen in any painting as the dance position means he is facing the other way. I find that this is one disadvantage of the painting because the dance doesn't seem as personal to the viewer and there is no connection is seen between the dancers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment