Friday 2 November 2012

How does she create movement?


She uses block colour in different shapes, then smudges and blends in colour on the outlines of the figures clothing to give the painting movement. I am really inspired by Sera Knight’s work because I feel it represents the liveliness of ballroom dancing well and each painting gives off a different atmosphere through the use of colour.  For example calm shades of blues with bursts of sharp royal blues creating a relaxed mood with intrigue, in contrast to orange and yellows giving a joyful mood. Her work is very original and isn't a direct copy of a scene, it is her own interpretation.

I really like her technique of the way she paints and I want to create a similar effect in my poster by using lots of colour together and making it more faint and dark in areas. I feel this painting represents our vision rather than a photograph when the dancer’s remain still. Seeing as the blurred parts of the painting where she uses the technique of smudging, merging and fading are like our eyes when they are trying to focus in such a fast movement. This makes it seem like we are part of the scene. I really want to create a lively, bold piece which doesn’t necessarily follow all the aspects of real life in much the same way as Sera Knight. I believe I can create a powerful painting with the way I use colour and want to work in a similar way to Sera Knight.

No comments:

Post a Comment